5 thoughts on “The “Queen Bee” (popular girl)”

1. When I think of “Queen B”, I think Lil Kim and Beyonce. Why? Because those two woman have mentioned it multiple times in their music. You`re definition of a Queen B is straight to the point. One thing that stood out is “rich”. We`re set to believe that in order to be a Queen B you must have riches to fall back on. Their riches give them this authority to walk over people who have a lower economic status than them.

2. I thought you made a very clear analysis of the general “Queen B” stereotype. Many of these ideas come about as women become of age and are struggling with the thoughts of self identification and self realization. I think the media and the specific films you cited are reasons why these archetype exists. Young girls could be so receptive especially when it comes to the media they consume. Looking up to girls they see in films who seem like they have it all and who value popularity leads to these young girls idolizing the “Queen B.”

I also really like the point Kathleen makes, when implying that the Queen B status can’t necessarily be reached without financial means. The majority of women who are depicted as such are white, upper middle class, privileged young girls. It just reminds us that there is a notion of privilege attached to popularity and status.

3. It’s interest to know what is “Queen Bee” because there is not something similar archetype in Japan and it’s first time to hear “Queen Bee”!! I could understand why Queen Bee exist in high school age. Also, it’s hard to not to be in the category in Queen Bee during the 2000 while idea spread out in the girls. Media reinforces idea of Queen Bee as well, I believe.

4. When I hear “Queen Bee”, I automatically think of Mean Girls and Sharpay Evans from High School Musical. I never thought to look into where the “Queen Bee” character type came from, your analysis provides a great insight. It shows how it plays into the stereotypical judgements placed on girls and how that has translated into this type of aggression.