3 thoughts on “Herbivore Men”

1. I was really looking forward to your presentation because Japanese Herbivore Men just sounded so bizarre to me! I loved the powerpoint and wanted to keep looking up information afterwards, and I found something so insane.

“Dentsu, the country’s largest advertising agency, estimates that 60 percent of men in their early 20s and at least 42 percent of men aged 23 to 34 consider themselves grass-eating men.”

That is a LOT of men that are out of the dating pool. Even the birth rate is dropping. I wonder how bad the problem will get before it turns around, and what the solution would be. I think it would help if the anime or manga the herbivore men read would implant the values that are needed. Like starting a family or being a father, something like that. Because there are a lot of examples of relationships and romance in anime, but its not enough to make the herbivores want to go out and get it for themselves.

Again, great work!

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2009/06/the_herbivores_dilemma.html

2. Wow! I have never heard of the Herbivore Man!!! I really enjoyed your presentation and I learned so much from it! I have heard of “this man” before in other ways — I have seen this type of male character is a lot of animes and reading, but I never knew that this was actually a thing!

I liked how you mentioned: “This magazine demonstrated women how to approach
    herbivore men, which included what kind of clothes women
    should wear, and what kind behavior herbivore men like.” — it’s interesting to see that magazines picked up on this and told women to be more cutesy to attract these types of guys. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a guy liking “feminine” hobbies or things. I like how this broke the stereotype of the aggressive, business man — men can definitely like whatever they want (even if it’s too “girly”).

3. The concept of a Herbivore Man is so unique, and I had no idea what to expect from your presentation. The Herbivore Man is not what I thought at all. I like the idea of not wanting to fall under the classic category and creating a new category to fit the times of society today.