Forgetting ACT UP

Act it up was a great and significant activist group. They fought and accomplished a lot, however, because of all the attention they got many other groups and forms of the type had gotten forgotten. The writer in this article quotes, “for the most part they were educated white-gay men who talked in a high fallutin manner”. The mere fact that someone can say something like this is pretty telling that there was even a certain intolerance or unacceptence within the activist group, ACT UP. They continue to write, “I guess I never joined ACT UP because I never saw myself as a member…I did not feel welcomed. I had friends who belonged to ACT UP but no one ever invited me to join”. This statement is extremely interesting. How could it be that an activist group fighting for life and rights and acceptance, is not as accepting as they would be expected to be?

ACT UP has had extreme success and accomplished a lot. Within their accomplishments there are other issues that have not been figured out. For example, black men with HIVs, what are they supposed to do? They can very well fight for their life within ACT UP but racial issues are a whole separate issue and aren’t fully dressed with ACT UP for black men with HIVs. Although ACT UP is remembered, there are people who are forgotten. However, despite most ACT UP members being wealthier and white, many people were saved from the disaster of aids.

With everything there are always down sides. Regardless of everything, ACT UP was a group of people who fought for what they thought it right and fair, and that’s what is most important.

3 thoughts on “Forgetting ACT UP”

1. Your post reminds me of the film we saw in class. So from what I understood from that film, it is surprising that many people are still suffering from this problem. Why isn’t there someone telling the people in the riot that they are working on controlling this problem? We see many of these riots about the disease yet no one has made the effort to calm them down. People want that sense of communication between the sick and the people who can help them. No one likes to be kept in the dark especially if they’re making it obvious. It’s the lack of communication that creates this fear of being abandon. I can sympathize with these riots to some degree because most people who are effected by the disease are not even sure how they got this problem. It is unfair that many people have to deal with a life-threatening illness that they can’t prevent completely. I had a friend that died of cancer and that was not a fault of his own. Usually people don’t understand other people who are affected by these problems until they are affected themselves. That’s the sad truth. So, when are the riots going to be addressed, I don’t know, but hopefully something does happen because it’s starting to appear as though there is little interest in helping the infected.

2. I agree with you that other groups were forgotten and that makes sense because how many groups can have a revolution at once? However, I do find it really weird that the group Act Up was not accepting of some new people because it seemed as if they were extremely accepting in the film. Maybe they just wanted it to seem that way? Or maybe there was some sort of miscommunication with the friend who wrote that. Although Act Up had a lot of success, some groups were left out to dry and the video did not show that.

3. That was interesting fact that even though people fought together in any situation, there were still had discrimination or something similar behavior occurred within the organizations. For this situation, white people in the ACT UP had a power that black people which made me confused. In the film showed that everyone who joined ACT UP always said “We are….,” who they concerned “we”? Only white people in the ACT UP? I wished that in the film still demonstrated that fact happened in the ACT UP.