Born in Flames

From what I’ve seen from the film today, it gave me the impression of a lot of us fighting an invisible war. Many feminists I see on social media tend to label a lot of media content “sexist.” From what I have seen in recent years, they have been quite accurate with the things that they’ve called out. However, nowadays it became clearer that a lot of their actions have portrayed them in a negative light. From time and time again I have seen feminists yelling for equality and for the removal of “sexist” content but, the only problem with that is… they don’t do the work themselves. Identifying the problems is good, fighting to remove degrading content is also good, demanding others to do the work is not. For example, in the movie industry, feminists demand companies to include more women in the production department, hire more actresses, and have a different portrayal of female characters. What they ignore is the fact that the film industry is a business that would hire anyone, regardless of gender, that would grantee them a profit. Money is the biggest concern for any business, and their main priority when it comes to employment is to hire the best/more popular people that they can find. Also, the way that they decide to cast, write, and construct their films is also catered towards their audience. What makes their consumers enjoy their films, and how much money they make from the films is the most important aspect to film companies. Demanding companies to hire women for the sake of just having women is a bad business plan because you would limit yourself to who you can hire because now you’re forced to hire people for their gender instead of their resume. As a content creator myself I would despised being forced to hire people just because of their gender, race or religion. It’s selfish and ignorant because these certain people would rather have companies suffer, if it means to push their social agenda. If we truly want an equal society we can’t have “feminism” (which means equal rights for both men and women) become an insult or a joke just because of a few individuals who tend to give it a bad name. This film we saw reminded me of this because, despite there being a problem, they don’t clearly identify the source of the problem. Calling men, society, and the government sexist does not describe the problem because that’s too vague.

2 thoughts on “Born in Flames”

1. It is true, just identifying the problem is not enough. One defiantly also needs to be proactive and try to really change things. But I think the idea of feminism is just that. It is a support and group of people who feel they don’t have equal rights– therefore, by just having that idealism alone does something to the world.

2. I think you make an interesting point. I completely understand the goal is to make a profit, but what do you sacrifice for having your cast be and crew be the “most profitable”? Uniqueness? Do you keep hiring the same profitable people over and over and over and no one else gets a shot? For example, how many Nicolas Cage movies can you name and how many were made better by his performance? How about historical accuracy? I first think of the film Stonewall that chose to cast all young and beautiful rioters, completely leaving out the demographic of the actual rioters and possibly the biggest would-be supporters of the film. The film flopped because of the people they left out.

I think that if people are inclined to sticking to what they think will be profitable as a default, the same types of works will continue to be created and people will eventually get tired of it. I think that the more diverse a crew is, the better the work becomes. I don’t think that including women or other minority groups just for the sake of including them is right at all, but finding someone talented from a demographic other than the majority includes a perspective that may not have been available without them.