Television In The Family Circle

While reading the article Television In The Family Circle I found many things shocking but also agreed with a lot of the content. I found it most ironic and shocking when I read about how television was a way of mending the family back together after World War 2. If you think about it, nowadays a television does just the opposite. Although there is defiantly good that comes out of television, it is the reason for many social and psychological issues for children and the way in which they are growing up. It may even be the reason why kids may even disrespect their parents. If a parent tells their child to stop watching television and start their homework, a child will be upset and annoyed at their parent.
In addition, it is really fascinating how media can persuade people to believe certain things and act upon them. Advertisements began to say how “children would cultivate artistic talents by watching television,” parents began to believe that! However, later on when people started to recognize the negative effects of television, articles and advertisements for television started to say, “the television doesn’t control you, you control the television. Don’t blame the television.” But earlier on when they would advertise for television they would say things like “The television is part of the family! It can mend any family together!” I don’t know about you, but I think that’s a pretty powerful device, if it can mend a family back together and help make the post War World 2 effects better.
I don’t think I was the parent’s fault for buying televisions because they didn’t know the negative effects it would have. They just wanted their children to have a balanced and good life after the effects of War World 2. They wanted to supply them with new technologies so they would fit in and they also wanted to give them vacations and only and all the good things! The world told them that a television would do that, and so they bought one! If I were living during that time I defiantly would have done the same.
The main thing I took out from this article was how much power and control the television really does have. The advertisements weren’t lying about that. But I believe the control and power it had was a negative impact rather than a positive one that it sought to have on the world.

3 thoughts on “Television In The Family Circle”

1. Yeah, I think its funny how TV went from unifying the family to splitting them apart. I’m willing to bet this is because now, instead of every household having one central TV that everyone watched, there is literally a TV in every room. That, and things like netflix means that not everyone has to rush and gather around to watch a show as it airs, they can catch it on their own time.

I actually don’t watch broadcast TV anymore, and I can’t remember the last time that I have. I do that mostly because of convenience, but it’s nice to not have to deal with commercials and have the ability to stop and start it as I please. Internet is replacing TV in my mind, not in terms of uniting the family, but in terms of influence. Everyone is so connected to the various social media and things have become so easy to share, that people basically end up doing the work for advertisers. You could tell the power is there when companies began disguise their advertisements as social media posts.

2. I think you bring up a great point when you explain how powerful of a device television is! Television in a way runs our world; it cultivates the images we see and unknowingly to us, tells us what is right and wrong. It makes me think, who would we be without the influence of television? Are our personalities just a product of the images we consume? How different would our world be without a guide of what are life should look like, what products we should use, and what we need in life to be and feel successful? These are all questions I though of when reading that article. The idea that advertisements dictated people’s own beliefs on television just further emphasizes its importance. It’s important to keep in mind the idea that “the television does not control you, you control the television, don’t blame the television.” This notion reminds us that we accept the things we want, and if we were to consciously decide to change our mindset and the way we consume media, we are able to regain a control we many times forget we lost.

3. I think advertising had a stronger jurisdiction, rather than the television. Another thing to consider is programming back in the day. However, anytime an advertisement spoke highly of this device, families believed it. Anything an advertise spoke negatively of this device, families believed it. It’s like being brainwashed and I don’t think the television had anything to do with that. Television did bring families together post-war. Advertisements led Americans to believe tv sets were part of the family so the idea of unity transpired.